Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Ack! You Missed A Special Holiday!

When I woke up on Sunday morning, I realized it was the the second Sunday after the first full week in March (A-whatsit-in-the-whatnow?). For a lot of people, that wouldn't mean a thing. But, to me, it is a very special holiday. It is Substitute Parents Day. Think of Mother's Day/Father's Day for people that act in the In Loco Parentis - ie: Teachers, Caregivers, Special Neighbors, Family Friends.... YOU get the point. Well, in high school, I always honored those teachers who made a difference in my life. And, before I married my husband, I honored his mother on this day (since Mother's Day didn't seem like the right day and I didn't like the Mother In Law's Day cards in October). For the last 3 years, I have honored my MIL on this very special of days. But, you know what? I didn't this year. You want to know why, right? Well, sad as it may seem, it didn't seem special enough this year. I felt like she deserved better. I mean, yes, a plant and a card are a nice gift. But, she really deserved something nice. And, I didn't know how to do that. I could have made dinner... but she is on a diet that seems to consist of potatoes and soup. This seems to also be the case for trying to make a dessert... who wants to eat a dessert when they are on a diet?

I thought maybe a nice note would work. I sat down and wrote about 3 drafts. None of them seemed to say what I wanted them to say... which is thank you for being such a great person who I seem to learn new stuff from daily (GAG me... that even sounds lame now). So, no note. Well, cleaning up seemed like a good thing... but I do that weekly anyways. That isn't special to just this week. I figure that maybe the best way to demonstrate I care is to tackle this issue again in October. Maybe there will be better cards this year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Both living in a toxic shame. No one truly cares. Shame that binds you. Keep saying "I am flawed and defective as a human being". You both hide behind your shame, secrets you must hide.

You will both pay dearly for the sin you spread. Worthy are neither. Others will pay for your sins.