Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Sometimes I Really Wonder

As most of you know, we (as a family) have been having problems with our phantom emailer. But, as a family, we have decided we won't drag the rest of you in the middle of what is so plainly a squabble between two parties when neither party is willing to communicate properly (ie: without taunts/threats/snide comments). Therefore, we will endeavor to remain free of personal taunts from now on.

Onto to the major topic of the blog for today.

Being an ex-teacher, I keep getting asked about really good books I've read. I mean, sure, I'm more likely than a lot of my friends to be able to rattle off some really good books I've read. But, darn! It isn't like being a teacher gives me the end all of end alls to book reviewing. It's just my option, after all. If you read my book choice and really hate it, please don't tell me what an idiot I am. I can like something you don't. I mean, my husband and I don't agree on good food all the time (I love Mongolian Grill... HE adores TGI Fridays). Why would everyone agree with my book choices. Anyways... I promised a couple of my friends (I'll get you all back for this... I PROMISE) that I would post my current books selections and explain why I have chosen these out of all the books I read. I will separate them by age range... since I read a lot of books. (I mean, what else do I have to do but waste my time reading books.)

Children's Books: I personally love anything that was up for or won the Caldecott - just something I get for being a Central Ohio native, I guess. My current favorites are Snowflake Bentley (Caldecott for 1999) and Lon PoPo (from 1990). Another one of my favorites was one I discovered while teaching 4th grade. Laura Simms, with the Illustrator David Catrow (whom was a guest speaker in my classroom), wrote a wonderful book called Rotten Teeth. I love how it shows that everyone has something special to share. In the book, the main character needs to find something for show and tell and "borrows" from her father (a dentist) a bottle of rotten teeth he's pulled out. Talk about demonstrating what happens if you don't take care of your teeth. And, it is also fun to watch her grow from shy to being an instant success. Plus, David's illustrations really are great. And, my last one in this category is called The Important Book by Margaret Wise Brown (Yes... Goodnight Moon lady). The Important Book is that the book goes on long after it is closed. What is most important about many familiar things -- like rain and wind, apples and daisies -- is suggested in rhythmic words and vivid pictures. Like Goodnight Moon, it is a perfect book . . . the text establishes a word game which children will accept and can memorize.

Juv. Fiction: Right now, I only have a couple picks. For those who enjoyed Harry Potter, make sure you don't miss the Jenny Nimmo Charlie Bones books. I found these books while flying back and forth from Baltimore in 2004. And, I've been addicted to them since. Charlie is endowed with "special powers" and goes to a "special school". It is how he solves problems in his life and how he handles a family who much rather he not be who he really is. My next pick is Gossamer by Lois Lowry. I honestly recommended this to anyone who reads. I loved the idea of little people who affect our dream state. Although, as my mother in law found out, it is a bit of a tear jerker, too. What also suggest it is a decent book is it was named Blackeyed Susan choice for 2006-2007. It didn't win, but I still absolutely loved it.

Adult: I have read some pretty odd, yet cool books in the last year. Jeanette Walls (MSNBC commentator) wrote a book about her childhood called The Glass Castle. Both my mother in law and I read it... and all I can say is that she had one very messed up childhood. But, it is the kind of book that keeps you reading... kinda like Running With Scissor (Augusten Burroughs). I've also finished Wicked and Son of A Witch (Gregory Maguire). I liked the latter more than the former. But, the change of views makes me think a lot of the children's book The True Story of the Three Little Pigs (as told by the Big Bad Wolf) - from the man who brought us The Stinky Cheese Man (Jon Scieszka). Different perspectives change everything!

What are you all reading. Share!!! :)

No comments: