Monday, May 19, 2008

Stepladder Bird: A Unwavering Mommy

Poor Stepladder Bird. She has been out there and protects her eggs (and therefore our stepladder) fiercely. She hated the idea of my moving my bike SOoooooo strongly that I got swooped at. She hated the idea of my grilling for my Mother In Law's birthday that she hissed and gave a guttural rumble when I went out to cook. I won the grilling thing.. she took off briefly to watch me from a nearby tree. But I didn't win with the bike... she didn't hurt me. But there was no way the bike was going to be moved without bloodshed.

I decided to find out exactly how many days this is going to happen. The Gestation period is 40 days. Then about 2 weeks before they take flight. I personally am beginning to wish the neighborhood feral cat would stop hovering. I want to see baby birds hatch and get a start in life. The situation is not great... but poor birds!

No comments: