Friday, June 20, 2008

Playing "Catch-Up"

Ahhh... the freedom. The excitement. The chemical burns. IT'S SUMMER BREAK!

For the educational world, this time of year means that it is summer break from all those darling little children you spent 9 months trying to teach. Jane has just entered the phase in her life known as eternally "out for the summer"... or retirement. So far, it seems no different than Jane off for one of her longer breaks (such as summer or winter). We work on housework and get the things done she doesn't have time to do. For example, within the first couple of days of her summer break starting, we cleaned closets, got stuff ready to go to Goodwill, re-organized the messes we made during the school year, used both deck cleaner and water sealer on the wooden stairway at the side of the house, cleaned off the carport, gave a good first attempt try at getting the cat rug deodorized (The dog had a "mistake" on the rug... the cat got angry and decided that that rug, if the dog could do it, would be her new litter box. We had to take it outside to get it out of the house several months ago... but couldn't fix the problem before now), and bought shelfing for downstairs. My only complaint is that we are starting to make work for ourselves at this point. Today's task, for example. We have two park benches that are going to get stripped, re-varnished, and polyurethane-d. I was aware they needed to be done, as I would have put it on my list of "to do" a long time ago (I love those kind of projects... just ask the front door I stripped, sanded and repainted... and the metal banister railing). We are also going to give the cat rug another shot. All we managed to do yesterday was stink the driveway up to the point the neighborhood cats must think our cat is about 3 ft. long and 4 ft. tall having a bladder the size of playground ball. Anyways... I am beginning to wonder if Jane is just making more work for us because she has this desire to "look busy". All I know is "looking busy" is pissing off my father in law. I know he is making work for himself... yesterday he spent an hour breaking sticks in half in our backyard. Before yesterday, he just would toss them back into the "Pit of Despair" part of the backyard with the three feet of leaves, yellow jackets, and rotting firewood. He has also started going to the movies multiple times a week JUST so he can get away from the cleaning and not look like he isn't doing anything. I feel bad for him because he looks absolutely miserable AND is in a foul mood because of it.

Moving on, our vacation starts next Thursday. We, ALL of us - Jane, Bill, Stephen, and I - are going on a family vacation. Our travels this year bring us back to Ohio and Kentucky. I am looking forward to seeing and spending time with my family in Ohio and spending time getting to know Jane's family in Kentucky a little better. I am especially looking forward to Sunday the 29th. My mom has invited the whole of the clan to have a barbecue at the house in Dayton. So far, the Clements side is under-represented with my Aunt Renee being out of town that weekend and no replies yet from the Worthington crew (I have hopes, though). My grandparents are the only ones on that front to reply 100% they are coming (unless, of course, they change their mind). But the OTHER side has replied and I know my grandmother and Alice and Aaron plan on being there. I really also look forward to the Clements/Blackburn crew getting to know my in laws better. They should all get along VERY well.

Our trip schedule appears to go as follows:

Thursday (26th) - Travel to Dayton. Convince my parents to hand over TV so that we may watch Last Comic Standing (which should not be as hard as I though it may be since Thursday next week HAS little or no great television watching moments... like Ice Truckers!).

Friday (27th) - I get my haircut! YAY!!! Oh, and we plan on attending Tattoo, weather permitting. This year's musical guest for Tattoo is The Charlie Daniels Band with the Air Force Band of Flight. Stephen is baulking at the idea of going... but I think he is being outvoted. He can stay home, if he really doesn't want to go.

Saturday (28th) - No real plans as of now. I am hoping this might be either the day to go to Mendelson's or out to the Cox Arboretum. AKA: This would be a great sightseeing day!

Sunday (29th) - Clements/Welsh/Blackburn/Wenzel Barbecue... need I say more?

Monday (30th) through Wednesday (July 2nd)- Drive to Louisville - Visit with Jane's Family

Thursday (3rd) - Drive to Columbus from Louisville. Spend time with my "other family" and see some Columbus attractions... like White Castle!

Friday (4th) - After noon, drive back to Dayton. Return to Casa Clements

SIGHTSEE until we leave on Tuesday the 8th. I am hoping to catch a Dayton Dragons game or MAYBE even make a trip down to see the Reds in Cinci!

What a great trip!

2 comments:

Ashli said...

Not sure where the no replies from the Worthington crew came from, we've all been planning on it! See you then!

Anonymous said...

Make sure you don't get t-boned on I-64... would hate to see you get maimed, oh perfect one.