Today has been a very long day. Got up early to get my treatment done so I could get that itchy IV out. When we got to L. Regional this morning, the IV (day three for that one) didn't want to work. I was getting really worried they'd have to dig for a new one. As the tech was putting the tourniquet, the IV started to drip. They took the tape off and the drip was flowing freely. Lucky me... they didn't have to put another in. Dr. Shah came in, and in her non-committal way, said "I'll work on it." Minus the IV, I went home and took a shower (ahhh....clean!!!). After finishing my shower, I got news that Dr. Shah had filled out paperwork for my PICC and I needed to go back to get it. Before we left, we got my mom to put in a call to the insurance company to make sure I didn't need anything special for the PICC. Needless to say, that call was the end of the easy part of my day.
The insurance company was angry that they had no gotten a referral for Dr. Shah yet (Dr. McClain's office DID call them... I was there when they called!!!!). They refused to acknowledge the referrals for the PICC line and Dr. Asad for tomorrow from Dr. Shah. They will ONLY accept referrals made by the PCP. So, after picking up the referral from Dr. Shah's office, had to go see Dr. McClain's office. His receptionist threw a royal hissy fit.... stating that I'd have to wait 48 hours for the referrals like everyone else. I stated I was supposed to get my PICC today.... and they were demanding a referral, too. After much blustering and yelling (by the doctor's office) and begging and pleading (on my part), 20 minutes later, I had referrals.
We immediately called the number to schedule my PICC line insertion. At 1:30 this afternoon, my PICC line (called affectionately by the Howard County General Hospital people "Power PICC") was inserted. It was a textbook insertion and the only major pain I felt was from the lidocane. Now I am starting to feel a little bit of an arm cramp. But, even that is better than those darn 2 to 3 day IVs! My only problem now?? I majorly did TOO much and I need a nap! Oh, yeah. My head and body still hurt, too. :) LymeBlog out! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
More like YOU threw a fit when they didn't give into you. Hope you have your will ready. You make it sound like you are going to die. Then again, the queen of selflessness hasn't given you any pointers, has she? Stop complaining already!
Post a Comment