Saturday, August 2, 2008

Holy Blood Brain Barrier, Batman!

For those of you who have been following my blog, you know they suspected I have Lyme Disease (thank you Ticks of America!). Well... the ever icky saga continues....

Yesterday, I went to see my PCP and he was astounded at the fact the ER hadn't called me with my results. My Lyme IGG AND IGM were positive. My new infectious diseases doctor informs me that I probably (lucky me) have contacted Lyme Disease twice and my latest is causing some of the nicer problems (the rash), and the older one is causing the headache (breaking the blood brain barrier anyone?). So, today, at 9 am, I get to go in to start my IV antibiotics. Lucky, lucky, lucky me.

Both doctors are also freaked out because of a couple of my blood tests, too. Last month, my AST level was at 35. Normal is between 10 and 30. They figured they'd redo it this month and not worry so much. IN the ER, the AST level was 110. THEY FREAKED! They might have also freaked because ALK PHOS was at 145 (normal is 42-98) or the ALT was at 194 (normal is 0-31). They are hoping that the Lyme is the reason my levels are going haywire. I'm just plain scared.

So, as I venture towards the Hospital this morning, I realize several simple things. First of all, life is funny. I was so looking forward to my new job which I think I might as well kiss goodbye (despite the fact they are being so kind about the whole thing). A UPS in the bush is worth many DHL's in the hand... or something like that. Second of all, if you put anything in Batman speak, it sounds so much less scary. No... really! When I told Stephen my news yesterday, the only thing I could think of was my title. Maybe I can hope it is affecting my brain, too and that, once out of my system, my brain will think normal thoughts, too.

No comments: