According to Wikipedia, my favorite source for all things "factual", anger is "an emotional state that may range from minor irritation to intense rage." Ok. I get the it is an emotional state. Tell me more, oh guru of knowledge. It goes onto to say that anger is one of those emotional states that is often times hard to define because of its ability to split into subtopics. Huuuuwha? Subtopic? What exactly is a subtopic of anger? Irritation? Annoyance? Anxiety? Clear as mud, Wikipedia.
Websters defines anger as "A strong passion or emotion of displeasure or antagonism, excited by a real or supposed injury or insult to one's self or others, or by the intent to do such injury." Getting closer to something I can understand. Websters is essentially saying that it is an emotion of displeasure that is brought about when someone feels a "injury" to themselves or others. Ok... so, what I feel when I thought about Gothic Kittens yesterday could have been a demonstration of anger. I was expressing displeasure with the idiotcy of the woman to pierce her cats in such a obnoxious way. However, how does this differ from when I feel "anger" towards someone for saying something unkind? How about when someone steals my parking space? All of these "feel" different. Are you saying they are all anger? Is rage anger? I think, in this case, the English language is doing ANGER a huge disservice. If the Eskimos, despite the highly popular urban legand saying otherwise, have so many words to describe snow, and the Sapir–Whorf hypothesis truely is correct, why should we not be able to a better word to describe anger. *****NOTE: Sapir–Whorf hypothesis - "postulates a systematic relationship between the grammatical categories of the language a person speaks and how that person both understands the world and behaves in it." Thanks again, Wikipedia. No, really. I learned about that in Linguistic in college. Wooohooo... Shout out for Capital U.!!!********
Ok... so, I have poorly defined it. So, why is it the subject of my blog today? Well... I am having a tad bit of anger control issues today. I feel anger directed towards another person and I really rather not be angry. So, if I don't want to be angry... why am I still angry? I mean, if I had a better word for it, maybe I would not feel guilty for being angry. So, I have decided to go the way of Andrew Clements, author of Frindle, and make up my own word for how I feel. I am feeling Disanxirritation. Hopefully, disnaxirritation is something that can linger and will be forgiven. It doesn't appear to be healthy, though. So, maybe when the 10 step organization starts, I can make sure that I enroll.
No comments:
Post a Comment