Monday, January 24, 2011

First Class Flight

As some know, I just returned from seeing my parents in Dayton, Ohio. I will be the first person to admit, I do not enjoy flying. However, it is usually cheaper and faster than driving. Think of it this way, for the $70 one way ticket (and that is with tax) on Airtran, I am not having to pay for a full tank of gas and two times eating out on the road. For a single rider, it is the far better choice. Unless you have a trip like I just finished.

When I bought my tickets, Airtran's baggage policy was $15 for your first bag. I begrudgingly decided not to fly Southwest (with their 2 free bag policy) into Columbus for two reasons: (a) convenience and (b) I missed my two week window after trying to deal with the details and the price nearly doubled to $110 each way. So, the night prior to leaving, I got an email from Airtran explaining their new policy change. It was now $20 to send the first bag of up to 45 lbs. ! Alright, Airtran. You win this round.

Well, I made it to Dayton, had a great time seeing the family, and prepared to leave. I logged onto my account and there was yet another notice. Because my bag was 45 lbs. EXACTLY, the suspected that my bag was going to be overweight. I could either agree to another increase, which would be between $25-$30 for my bag depending on the rate, or I could upgrade to a business class ticket for the cost of having two bags. I gritted my teeth together and went to find my dad to ask his opinion. We decided to go for the upgrade to business. Why? Two bags, bigger seat, more leg room, and... free alcohol! Ok. I don't drink much, so the last one wasn't the selling point. The increased leg room was really the kicker for me. Airtran, unlike Southwest, really does have reduced knee room. I end up with major purple knee bruising every time I fly Airtran. So, I booked my new ticket and got ready to leave.

The day I left was the day Dayton ended up with 5 inches of snow before 6 pm. My flight should have left at 5:55 pm. The flight was late arriving and we weren't even starting to board until 5:40. At scheduled lift off, we were being prepared to be de-iced for the first time. 25 minutes later, we are still sitting at the gate. At the 40 minute mark, still sitting at the gate waiting to be de-iced a second time. We started to roll around the 50 late minute mark and, right before we were "assigned" to take off, we had to call for another de-icing. When we finally got to Baltimore, we were over an hour late arriving. The flight only took 45 minutes... much shorter than normal hour and 15 minutes. Pilot said we had a good tail wind. Whatever! I just know I got home in one piece.

My adventure with business class, however, was interesting. Upon being seated, I was immediately asked what I wanted to drink. I had decided to use my alcohol credit for a rum and Coke since I was feeling a little more than apprehensive about flying. The attendant told me he brought me enough rum for two fair sized Rum and Cokes. I thanked him and thought in my head, "I'm going to be good and tired tonight."

After the first de-icing, the flight attendant brought most adults in both coach and business a free alcoholic beverage. They brought me another get two Rum and Cokes from this bottle of rum bottle. I thanked the attendant and said to myself, "Two more really won't be too bad." I very rarely drink and this may seem lightweight to some, but this was more than I would do normally. I enjoyed my second set of two R&C. Then, we started to move. Then the co-pilot comes back to check the wings as we are told we are next in line to takeoff. As he comes back through after his check, he says, give everyone another free round. We are going to have to call to be de-iced again. So, here comes another bottle of rum good for two R&C. At this point, I really don't care. If they give it to me, I'm gonna drink it because all I want is off this d*&^ flight already. However, this time they bring it with a box of millano cookies! With 6 cookies in a box! I decided I am going to drink R&C 5 and 6 very slowly. And eat these cookies. Well, they brought another box for all of us as I was finishing 5. As I finished 6, the guy next to me said, "Am I ever glad to be in the air." I looked at him and suddenly realized we had already taken off and I missed it. I asked him how long we'd been airborne. He said he thought about 5 minutes. He said he missed it, too. The lady across the aisle from me, with her 2 year old son, looked at me and stated she missed it, too. Last she knew, she'd been given a tenth chocolate milk for her son and a 5th and 6th gin and tonic for her. The attendant came back one more time to get the real drink orders. I opted for a Sprite. They brought me more cookies, though.

Woke up the next morning feeling great. But, I don't think I ever want to fly Airtran again. I want a set baggage fee that isn't set to screw the consumer.

1 comment:

The Clements said...

Although I am sorry that you were delayed getting home, it is pretty funny that the airlines solution to the delay was to get everyone liquored up. Glad you were able to handle the 6 drinks!!!!